Reading for Justice: A Celebration of Banned Books and Critical Thinking
October 05, 2023, 7:30pm Eastern Time
A participatory fundraiser to help CLBSJ extend access to critical biblical engagement
As part of our 2023 read-a-thon, and in solidarity with Banned Books Week, CLBSJ invites you to gather in support of the edgy books and critical thinking traditions that have shaped us as activists and Biblical interpreters. The event will be a participatory gathering, with members of the CLBSJ community sharing about the reading we are doing, and how it is impacting our understanding of the Bible and our work for justice.
Registration is a sliding scale fee, starting at $5. All proceeds go directly to CLBSJ’s work. Click on the orange button to register and make your gift! Register for this event
Here are the sharers and the books they will be discussing:
• Board President Nicholas Johnson — Bitter the Chastening Rod, edited by Mitzi Smith and Angela Parker
• Board Co-Secretary Betsy Simpson — A Palestinian Theology of Liberation by Naim Ateek and The Liberating Path of the Hebrew Prophets by Nahum Ward-Lev
• Advisory Committee Member Rick Ufford-Chase — Black AF History: The Un-Whitewashed Story of America by Michael Harriot
• Longtime Supporter Mary Johnson — Cloudsplitter by Russell Banks
• Executive Director Amy Dalton — Each One Teach One by Ron Casanova
Want to share on October 5? Anyone who is participating in the Read-a-thon is welcome to talk on October 5. For more information on how to become a Read-a-thon reader, visit go.rallyup.com/c/clbsj-readathon2023-reader
Thank you to our Sponsors!
• Stony Point Center
• Bartimaeus Cooperative Ministries
• CONECT: Congregations Organized for a New Connecticut
• The Council of Churches of Greater Bridgeport, Raising the B.A.R. (Becoming Anti Racist) Program
• Music Media Ministry
Add your group’s name to this list and help us make our goal! Organizations, congregations and businesses can support CLBSJ’s first online fundraiser as a Partner, Promoter, Advocate or Champion. Click here for details on the sponsorship levels and how to sign up.