Fall Read-a-Thon: Will Read for Justice!
Published 01 November 2022
Calling all Friends of CLBSJ! We have amazingly been challenged by a donor to raise $25,000 before the end of the year. To help us meet this goal and have fun doing it, we are “coming out” as hopeless bibliophiles and embarking on a Fall Read-a-Thon! Together, Board members and friends of CLBSJ have committed to read at least 5,000 pages during the month of November.
Can you help us reach our goal by donating to support the read-a-thon? You can make a per-page pledge for your favorite reader, or you can make a flat donation to the entire campaign. Check out details and make your gift at RallyUp.com.
Please also take this opportunity to share this campaign with folks in your networks who might not yet be connected to CLBSJ, but share our passion for linking the Bible and social justice! Our readers will be posting “mini-reviews” of what we read, making this project a great opportunity to get to know CLBSJ and our commitments. Check out some of the books we are reading below…
Want to help by becoming a reader? Click here to learn more.
What We are Reading:
Here are a few books our Readers have chosen to start with…
- Black Scholars Matter: Visions, Struggles, and Hopes in Africana Biblical Studies edited by Gay L Byron and Hugh R Page (2022)
- Passion Plays: How Religion Shaped Sports in North America by Randall Balmer (2022)
- This Here Flesh: Spirituality, Liberation, and the Stories That Make Us by Cole Arthur Riley (2022)
- First-Century Gospel Storytellers and Audiences: The Gospels as Performance Literature by Thomas E. Boomershine (2022)
- The 1619 Project: A New Origin Story by Nikole Hannah-Jones (2021)
- Healing Haunted Histories: A Settler Discipleship of Decolonization by Elaine Enns and Ched Myers (2021)
- Toward an Asian-American Biblical Hermeneutic: An Intersectional Anthology by Gale A. Yee (2021)
- Christians Against Christianity: How Right-Wing Evangelicals Are Destroying Our Nation and Our Faith by Obery M. Hendricks Jr. (2021)
- Unsettling the Word: Biblical Experiments in Decolonization edited by Steve Heinrichs (2019)
- Social Justice and the Hebrew Bible, Volume Three by Norman K. Gottwald (2018)
- Ideology, Class, and the Hebrew Bible by Norman K. Gottwald (2018)
- A Palestinian Theology of Liberation: The Bible, Justice, and the Palestine-Israel Conflict by Naim Stifan Ateek (2017)
- The Origin of Others by Toni Morrison (2017)
- Beware the Evil Eye: The Evil Eye in the Bible and the Ancient World, Volume 3 by John H. Elliott (2016)
- Reading Minjung Theology in the Twenty-First Century: Selected Writings by Ahn Byung-Mu and Modern Critical Responses edited by Yung Suk Kim and Jin-Ho Kim (2013)
- Christians at the Border: Immigration, the Church, and the Bible by M. Daniel Carroll R. (2008)
- Tribes of Yahweh: A Sociology of the Religion of Liberated Israel, 1250-1050 BCE by Norman K. Gottwald (1979, reprinted 1999)